Pages

Monday, November 5, 2007

Birthdays, hello's, and goodbye's.

Jarrett and I have had a busy past few days, but busy is good for me considering I spend my days during the week just hanging out. My birthday was on Friday and I can say that turning 20 does make me feel a little older as I am no longer a teenager. I didn't get to spend much of my birthday with Jarrett since he had to work, so I made sure I kept myself busy. I decided to drive to Sacramento to go walk around the big mall there. After almost having a heartattack like 20 times, I finally made it there safely. I'm still getting used to the busy 4 lane freeways compared to the relatively traffic free two lane freeways back home. My gift from Jarrett was a new pair of jeans so I picked out a nice pair along with a couple t-shirts and a cute pair of shoes. I can't remember the last time I went shopping so it did feel good to treat myself to a little something. For lunch I had my favorite grilled cheese and then also some french fries and a milkshake! That night, Jarrett and I along with the Wheeler family all went to BJ's for dinner which was delicious. My birthday was good, but I was a little sad that I didn't get to celebrate with my family and continue our tradition of dinner at the Madonna Inn Coffee Shop.

Early Saturday morning, Jarrett and I packed up and drove to Modesto to my aunt's house. My mom and brother Jimmy were also driving up to meet us there. I haven't seen my family since Jarrett and I got married, which is a long time for me, so I loved that I was able to see my wonderful Momma and brother. Unfortunately, a few minutes after my mom arrived, she pulled me aside and informed me that my little Carlos had passed away from a heartattack.
I then understood why my parents had only briefly talked to me on my birthday, they didn't want me to receive the news and have it ruin my birthday. My family and I are heartbroken as Carlos was such a part of our family and going home with be a little weird without the familiar yapping and scratching at my legs to pick him up.

The rest of the weekend was great. I enjoyed a nice lunch with my mom and aunt at a beautiful vineyard/ b&b. Then later on we played "Are You Smarter Than a 5th grader?" with my cousins. Let me tell you, whoever made up the questions for that game must have been going to some expensive private school because as far as I know a 1st grader shouldn't know what the less than < and greater than > symbol means. On Sunday morning, we all went through all the boxes that were moved from my Grandma's house to my aunt's after she passed away two months ago. Jarrett and I received her old dining room table as well as a cute side table and a few other things. Last night I opened the drawer to the side table and found it full with all of her playing cards, which her favorite hobby was playing bridge, and a few trinkets of my mom's from when she was little. It was a sad moment for me, but I'm so happy that I get to have a few things of hers to help make this apartment into a home.

Well, Jarrett and I are just relaxing tonight. Jarrett's getting ready for his day tomorrow by ironing his uniform and polishing his boots.
This time change is really killing us, so I just might go to bed tonight at the same time as Jarrett. Married life is great and we are both really getting used to living together and learning eachother's little habits. Jarrett's favorite quote this week is "I love being married...I do! It's just so fun!" And it's the most wonderful feeling to hear that coming from my husband and of course I agree! Well, I hope everyone else had a wonderful weekend and thank you to everyone who sent me cards and messages, I'll be getting formal thank you's out real soon!

0 comments: