Pages

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Mmmm the good things in life.


One of my most favorite things to do is to go to a good coffee shop, sit down with either my favorite soy chai or hot chocolate and enjoy a good book or just think about life. I could do this every day if I had the time or money. But today is one of those days where snuggling up at a coffee shop is a must for me. It's cold here, try 30 degrees this morning at like 10 and it doesn't get much warmer than 55 degrees. I mean that really isn't that cold compared to the freezing weather that most people in the country are experiencing right now but it's still chilly. My favorite coffee shop that I've found so far up here has got to be the Starbucks on base. I know I know it's a Starbucks, Heather would be mad at me, but the atmosphere is the best with a ton of big comfy chairs and not to many people during the day. Today, I decided on the peppermint hot chocolate which is a winter favorite of mine. Unfortunately, I guess Starbucks has started setting out brochures with all the nutritional content of their drinks and I happened to stumble upon it today. Way to go Starbucks... now I feel even more guilty about this delicious hot chocolate I am enjoying so much. I guess that's why they call some things guilty pleasures because this is definitely one of them.

For all you music lovers, I came upon this amazing band recently but just bought her cd yesterday. A Fine Frenzy is I feel like a girl version of Coldplay which I think is like the hot chocolate of music. Sweet, smooth, rich, and warm. Her lyrics and melodies just make me smile. That's what music should do... that's when you know it's good music.

And for book lovers, I have started reading a good book...I love a good book. I haven't strayed far from authors such as Karen Kingsbury and Francine Rivers lately, but I stumbled upon this book at Borders recently and I knew I had to read it. It's called "What is the What" by Dave Eggers. "What is the What" is a novel based on the life of Valentino Achak Deng, who was a so-called Lost Boy, who was forced from his village in Sudan. Eventually he settles in the United States and the novel follows his experiences, heart aches, and challenges. This book is about the life of Valentino but it couldn't be called a memoir due to the fact that Valentino couldn't remember exact words said in conversations and such but all of the experiences and challenges, Valentino did actually go through which I find fascinating and heartbreaking at the same time. Anyways, you should check it out.

Well I'm going to get back to my book. Tonight Jarrett and I are going to the Christmas party for his squadron so that should be fun. I'll post pics soon.

0 comments: